Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Joyeux Anniversaire & Paul Wylie

Hier, ma mére a célebré son anniversaire! C'était le premier fois que je n'étais pas au Michigan pour son anniversaire, mais ici, j'ai commémoré l'occasion aussi.








On her birthday (actually it was her birthday in France, but not quite her birthday in the States) while she was valiantly working out for the GLA River Run (if you want more info about that, please do ask me!) she got the desire to watch her all time favorite Olympic figure skating performance, done by American figure skater Paul Wylie, and skated to two of her favorite songs: the theme from Henry V, and Saint-Saën's Organ Symphony No. 3

Like mother, like daughter. Those two songs also strangely enough happen to be two of my favorite songs (if they truly can be called mere "songs", so glorious and majestic they are!) and when one day long ago (long ago being relative to the life of an eighteen year-old) she introduced to me this figure skating performance, it too became my all time favorite Olympic figure skating performance. To make it even better, he far surpassed everyone's low expectations for his performance, and after skating this routine, Paul Wylie won the silver medal at the 1992 Winter Olympic Games in no place other than here in Albertville, France!!!!! I've walked past this very rink, and at some point, I certainly plan on skating in it myself. Watch his stunning performance below.


Not only is Paul Wylie a phenomenal skater who skates to fantastic music, but he is also a really neat chap who came to faith at age twenty and when he skated this routine, he skated it for the glory of the Lord. Read this article where he shares his story of faith, his story of skating, and the story of his experience at the Winter Olympics of 1992.

"Whether it's stepping onto the ice for the short program in the Olympics, being at my desk at Harvard Business School or working for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, each experience is part of an adventure that God is taking me on...It's all for His glory." - Paul Wylie

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I think it's time to bookmark google translate. Or bing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with your mom on this issue. I expect that by the end of your time in Albertville your posts will be entirely in French and most of us will have no idea what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listed to Saint-Saens Organ Symphony for you on my flight home from Atlanta last week. :-)

    ReplyDelete