Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday's Girl



My dearest child,

Where do I even begin with you, little girl? You are amazing. Just amazing. An amazing testimony of life. An amazing source of joy and energy and love. I'll always remember the first time I met you. I walked into the nursery, and there you were, sitting on the floor. I realized you were one of the girls on my list, so I sat down beside you. You scooted your way up into my lap and rested your head on my shoulder, ready to be loved.

After that, it was a beautiful ten weeks with you. Your laughter never ever failed to make me well up with the best kind of joy deep down inside. Your smile thrilled my heart. I love you when you're angry and grunt and hide your face. I love you when you laugh and laugh and laugh. I love you when you just want me to hold you and rock you and tell you that you're special. I love you when you wave and blow me kisses from your crib. I was so pleased and proud when you started doing that.

You have reaffirmed my belief that God doesn't make mistakes when he creates babies who are not quite the same as most babies. You have helped me to see and fully experience that babies with Down's Syndrome bring something unique to the table – something beautiful, something that is undeniably a reflection of the Creator. You have uninhibited passion, overwhelming amounts of joy. You are smart, you are strong-willed, you are charged full with an abundance of life. You've already been through so much, baby girl. You're tough. You've survived open heart surgery. You've experienced many transitions in your short life. You've been born in the context of immense poverty and many deep hurts of a broken world. I am confident that God will use you as a powerful and life-changing testimony to many.

Little girl I cannot wait for you to go home. You have an incredible family who will love you to pieces. They will show you so many wonderful things about this wonderful world that we are living in. They will teach you all about God and how much He loves you. You are coming to Michigan, sweet girl, and I know you will LOVE it. I can't wait for you to experience the Great Lakes. The glory of the changing seasons. The apples in the fall and the tulips in the spring.

I have prayed many many prayers for you, and particularly out of Psalm 34, I pray that you know that those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. You are radiant. You are never to be covered in shame. God's angels are watching you.

Love, love, love,

Kathryn









1 comment:

  1. Very nice letter, Kath. I have always enjoyed time spent with people with Down's Syndrome. When they are happy their joy just spills out of them and flows around them...It is hard not to smile yourself when you are enveloped in flowing happiness!

    ReplyDelete