Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tales of Travel: Part One

I shall now proceed to begin to recount the tales from my soujourns afar. These shall be rather detailed accounts, so I'm not sure if I will have sufficent time to finish them all off for there quite a number of stories to be told, but this is at least a start!

Leg #1 of the trip: Albertville to Geneva
Method of transportation: Car with Carlan
Departure time: 4:15 AM
Thing #1 that went wrong: We got lost, but thanks to some built in cushion time, we made it to the Geneva airport just minutes after our target time of 6 AM

Leg #2 of the trip: Geneva to Amsterdaam
Method of transportation: Plane
Departure time: 7:10 AM
Thing #2 that went wrong: I got in a check your baggages line thinking it was the security line.
Thing #3 that went wrong: Once at the proper security, I took off my scarf only to realize that I had put my shirt on backwards that morning. A minor detail, to be sure, but still something that went wrong.
Thing #4 that went wrong: I got out of security and then the brilliant traveller Kathryn Wong said to herself, "Okay. Now whereto? Vienna, of course! That is my final destination! Right? Oui." So she finds her gate - A8. Voila! Nothing to it. Pas de probleme. So I sat there for a while, happily contended with the fact that I had come thus far without any major glitches. By the grace of God (there's a lot of that in these stories) I decided I needed to go to the bathroom, henceforth compelling me to look at the screen of my departure gate (something I probably should've done upon arriving at said gate). An odd fact registered in my head - it said the flight was departing at 7:20. Doesn't make sense, thought I to myself, and I contemplated this fact of life whilst washing my hands, because it definitely says on my ticket that the flight goes out at 7:10 and not 7:20. As I washed, a revelation struck me:all these people were going to Vienna, so I would be able to navigate the Amsterdam Airport no problem! I could just follow them through the airport to my gate...wait. Oh, NO! THE AMSTERDAM AIRPORT TO MY GATE?!?! I HAVE THE WRONG FLIGHT! THIS FLIGHT IS GOING DIRECTLY TO VIENNA! I AM AN IDIOT!
Thing #5 that went wrong: I went up to the desk, explained my error (in French, I'll have you know!) and the lady directed me to the correct gate and told me to go up the stairs. So I walked over to the escalator, and it wasn't moving. I started to walk up the not moving escalator. Well about 1/4 of my way up, it decided to start working in a downward motion. And I was caught trying to go up on the down escalator. How ridiculous. I booked it up that escalator as fast as ever I could, which was difficult as I had burst out laughing at the hilarity of it. And so then I ran through the airport, and by the Grace of God again, my real departure gate was really quite close to my false departure gate. I went running up and VOILA! The last two people were just boarding the flight. Fantastic! That's the way to board a plane - no lines, no sitting around and waiting, just get there and board. Super.

Okay, c'est tout for now! Slovakia is beautiful and wonderful in every way that it could possibly be!

6 comments:

  1. Ah Kathryn! Last night at dinner Dad gave thanks to God for watching over you and keeping you safe. Someone then remarked that watching over Kathryn is a lot of work for God! Hurrah for your guardian angels! :-)

    Thanks for taking time to post when you're surrounded by those wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kath - Glad to hear you arrived safely and that you navigated travel in the far lands. God is good.

    Love you.

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnifique, Kathryn, complètement magnifique. Je voudrais que tu me racontes tous ces histoires de nouveau quand tu rentres. Tu nous manques ici. Mais, j’espère que tu passes un bon moment en Slovaquie. Nous sommes sûrs que c’est vraiment très probable pour toi. À bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nous me manquons aussi!!!!!! Chaque jour, I think about Abi and Anna and wonder what they are up to! J'ai passe une bonne bonne tres bonne journee aujourdhui, et hier aussi. Slovaquie est vraiment magnifique et amusante et incroyable etc. etc. Je raconterai tous mes histoires quand je rentre :) Il y a BEAUCOUP.

      Delete
  4. I am surprised they let you on the plane with your shirt on backwards! Glad you figured out the right gate before your real flight left and you made it to Slovakia. I can't wait to hear further tales of travel adventures.😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you get into so many pickles, but He always brings you out safely! And smiling!

    I really want to see you walking up a downward moving escalator. I am laughing out loud as I type this!

    I miss your chaos and your joy!

    Love you and can't wait for MAY!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete