Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Another First

Never thought I'd come to France and end up giving someone their rabies vaccination. Even last night around the dinner table when the suggestion that I administer Heather's rabies vaccination was proposed, I still never would've thought that I'd actually go through with it and do it. Even after I had the shot in my hands with the cap off and the needle, sharp and glistening and SHARP in my hands, I still never thought I'd actually be able to do it without severely wounded my poor patient. She's got some tough skin, in more ways than one, but also literally, and my first attempt was in vain. Puncture the skin I could not, and I withdrew the shot, appalled at my evident failure. She insisted that she was not hurt, at least not yet anyways. There she sat, stalwart and unwavering, while I shook and trembled and sweat and went in for a second try. I watched it go through her skin, into her flesh. Having just experienced a rather traumatic episode involving sharp metal objects puncturing skin, I was extra distraught at the idea of inflicting similar pain on such a friend as she, but she magnanimously informed me that it hurt naught. And so now I can say with at least a certain level of confidence that I am capable of poking people with needles and injecting protective fluid into their bodies.


In other news, this weekend has passed by all too quickly, and I cannot quite fathom that in just two weeks from tomorrow, I'll be saying my goodbyes and heading to Scotland and then just a week later, heading back to the US of A. Mixed sentiments, to be sure.

Friday night, we had a grand time with seven out of eight McCropder children (read about the exciting new addition to the McCropder crew here). We ate pizza and "watched" The Swiss Family Robinson together, stopping halfway through to run around outside and dispense of some of that insane energy.

This morning, there was a special service with many different congregations to celebrate the baptism of two new believers. They shared their testimonies, and it was wonderful to listen to them tell their stories and furthermore understand their stories! We stayed afterwards for a potluck. Not exactly the kind of church potluck I'm accustomed to, to be sure. For instance, at Knox Pres, we don't have a special cheese course after the main course has been consumed. I thoroughly enjoyed a very long and engaged discussion with one of the MK's - Mr. Judson Kim - regarding a simply fascinating game that we devised. The board game Clue in real life, with many twists, including a Bible smuggling twist, and a number of other fascinating additions.

Anna and I got hopelessly lost (sort of) on the way home from church after wandering away from the rest of the family as we discussed the land of Narnia. Thankfully, we eventually made it back home again. Having mountains of different shapes and sizes surrounding you does make for a better sense of direction. Sometimes anyway.

This afternoon after we finally found home again, I enjoyed a nap on the terrace in the spring breeze and warm sun followed by an enjoyable time in the kitchen with Sarah where I sampled (to a great extent) her delicious experiment.

And so all in all, it was a good weekend, and I am glad to be here with these people in this place and I am oh so excited to embark on another week of learning French.

3 comments:

  1. She is certainly a brave person! You will have to ask Grandma Swick about when she used to try to take Grandma Mac's blood pressure reading. I'm not sure she ever got an accurate reading because Grandma Mac's blood pressure would have gone up so much just due to the process! I hope that you enjoy your last couple of weeks in France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Jason Fader has in mind to train you to do some surgical kind of stuff next?!

    Heather Fader - unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, I'm still laughing in wonder at the many adventures you are having! I loved your post and Heather's optimistic expression as you hold the needle, ready to poke.

    ReplyDelete