Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beaucoup d'amour

The year 2013 is the first year since 1994 when I will not celebrate my birthday with the comfort and tradition of home. Relative to my life, that is a very long time indeed making this birthday quite the monumental one. Although I will be celebrating the actual date of my birthday in Scotland, the birthday celebrations have nevertheless been underway here in France, and I feel thoroughly loved.

Tuesday night the singles plus the most fantastic Lee and Violette went out for kababs and had mint chocolate chip ice cream cake (Wong family birthday classic) on the terrace afterwards (merci beaucoup à Alyssa. Le gâteau était SUPER!) Mercy gave me earrings (shocking) but they are really quite pretty, and she made them herself, and I must admit I do rather like them. Afterwards, we stayed on the terrace while the sun said goodnight, talking about all sorts of things, and as I sat there I marveled at all these heros of the faith whom God has placed in my life during this chapter. Then Sarah and I fell asleep while watching Despicable Me. Good times and sweet memories.






Interspersed with birthday celebrations have been meals with the families one last time. A dinner with the McLaughlins (I got to hold baby Toby!!!!!!!!) last night, a lunch with the Cropseys today, a potential dinner with the Faders tonight although due to another birthday celebration after school today, I was full beyond belief until past the Fader girls' bedtime. I have come to greatly admire these people over the past few months - and I already did before, viewing them as nothing short of Knox Celebrities. But more on that to come in another post.

The other birthday celebration alluded in the previous paragraph was just grand. Warmed the cockles of my heart. The participants were primarily kids. The McCropder kiddos plus the Kim's plus the two Farver twins whom I've been teaching piano to. There were beautifully crafted cards that are coming back with me to the US of A, posters that made my heart smile (and my face too...), and all sorts of fascinating games. Such as a game in lieu of Pin the Tale on the Donkey that was dubbed Pin the Earring on the Kathryn. Delightful. I am now pierced in all sorts of flattering places. Each of these dear little people with their personalities and smiles and laughs and love will be sorely missed. 

And so now I must turn my attentions once again to packing. My room is currently in absurd upheaval and I am going to endeavor to restore some sense of order and decency before tomorrow comes. Thank you to everyone who helped make me feel so special.

This sign (interpreted below) with pictures of fond memories surrounding it contributed greatly to warming the cockles of my heart:

K id at heart (and everywhere else too)
A miable, adventurous, author, admirable, affection, almost died.
T alented, tender, trespasser, tujours vivant
H appinesss, happy generator, heureuse
R ighteous, rockin', rule breaker
Y acky, youthful
N ot dead yet! Nice, N'tertaining, N-thusiastic, N-ergetic


Happiness abounds.


....piercing time....




3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This made me cry as much as any Kathryn Takes a Gap Year posts so far. Except for maybe the one with the goodbye to Haiti video.

    THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of Kathryn's friends who are so lavishly loving her. This is the first time for ME to have not her home on her birthday since 1994, too! Moms' hearts feel these things. I so wish I could be there or she could be here, but it's awfully wonderful to see her so very not alone.

    Just looked at the pics (again) and started getting weepy (again). SIgh. Thank you, wonderful people. And thanks, Kath, for posting for those at home who miss you.

    P.S. Should I not ask about "rule breaker" ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. The celebrations are just getting started! I am sure your Aunt and cousins in Scotland are ready to celebrate with you as well! Happy Birthday -4days!

    ReplyDelete