Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Happenings in Albertville


I am most overjoyed to report that the weather today was sublime with a great many joyous activities, not unlike Wednesday's happy day. Here I have for you a short recap with a few highlights, mostly from today, a few from this past week.

Earlier this week, after bidding each other goodnight with lovely plans to go to bed early and get caught up on some sleep, Mercy and I had a grand time pretending we were immature college freshmen in a dorm (which we kind of are, I reckon). I now truly feel as if I've had the dorm experience, and henceforth do not feel it particularly necessary to live in one next year... The result of our exploits? Dr. Seuss hair which we proudly paraded and modeled to our neighbors.



Anna and I went out for kebabs this afternoon. I was quite amazed at how she slowly but surely ate that monster until it was diminished to naught but three bites. Incredible.



With it being such a gorgeously idyllic spring day, I had within me an irresistible desire to be submerged in water. And so after studying in the hot sun, Sarah obligingly went with me to the madly rushing river overflowing with melted snows from the mountains, and I went all the way under, much to the amusement of the French who were watching on the sidelines.


It was cold, to be sure. Tingly feet for the first few seconds, numb for the rest of it. But thankfully, I've been brought up well and the Great Lakes have made me immune to shockingly cold natural bodies of water. And being utterly submerged in the freezing cold, crystal clear waters of the melted snow on the peaks of the Alps - basically my definition of awesomeness to the max epitomized.


The fun on the run in the sun was, thankfully, not to end there. For after a bit of reading on the terrace, playing with the kids, and eating pizza with friends, it was off on another adventure, this time with Mercy. I've heard tell time and time again stories of a waterfall behind Conflans (the medieval city of Albertville) but I myself have never located this elusive waterfall, due in large part to my sense of direction which is rather lacking. And so Mercy kindly agreed to bring me there before I leave. 

It was a day like no other. The skies were a blue so blue your heart just wanted to burst with the blueness of it. And it had snowed up on the mountain tops the night before, which meant that the peaks were a white so bright, so brilliant, that it really did have the same effect on your heart as that bluest blue, and the combination of the whitest white with the bluest blue. Looked like so: (as far as it can be captured in a photograph anyway, which it really cannot)



Then we walked up to the waterfall. It was TOTALLY AWESOME. I also walked UP the actual waterfall. I found a good walking stick. I would like to write more about it, but maybe some other time, because at the moment, I am off to sleep on the terrace in the great outdoors avec mon amie Sarah!




A dead heroine, about to drop to her watery grave.


6 comments:

  1. looks like a great day indeed! Glad you didn't get swept away by the snow melt river. They can really run fast and the current can catch you out! The blue and white were rather spectacular in the photo....I'm sure 20 times more so in person. Enjoy your remaining time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my immersion in cold water was certainly not as epic but here goes anyway....

    Pond was a bit high due to the rain and the clogged drain pipe. So I donned my jeans and Si's crocs and shlepped into the water knee high. I plunged my arm into the abyss of the drain pipe and grabbed the wet and mushy clump of grass and flung it onto the shore. Feeling rather chilly, I ran up the hill and into the kitchen where I slipped on the floor because of my wet bare feet - and landed on my bumpus - with your mother quite startled. Thankfully, my bones were all in tact. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear heroine about to drop to her watery grave! Clearly you have been spending time with Anne Shirley as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stories and the pictures! I will have to see if there are any scalable waterfalls around. I've not seen one....nor have I been looking too closely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathryn, tu vas nous manquer beaucoup... est-ce que tu es vraiment sûre que tu dois partir la semaine prochaine?

    ReplyDelete