Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Welcome Home, Vaughn Didley Haglund

Many of you will remember reading about my darling little Tuesday Boy - an intro to him and a goodbye letter to him.

Last night at around 10:30 EST, Vaughn Didley Haglund came home. Although I wasn't there in person to welcome him, my mom and sister were a part of the welcoming home committee at the Detroit Metro Airport. He was also greeted by his daddy and his big brother Anri, who was also adopted from GLA. I have great confidence that little Anri will make the best of big brothers. I just love this picture of my little man, nestled up against his mommy.


These past few days as I was following the journey of Didley's mommy - Cathleen - down to Haiti to pick him up, it was as if I were back there in Haiti. As she wrote about the chaos of the nurseries, the food that he was eating, staying at the Guest House, singing on the balcony with the GLA staff, the joy of bringing him home even with the heart break of leaving, I lived there vicariously with her. I can feel right now his little arms around me, clinging and holding on so tight. I can hear right now his infectious laugh burbling up and spreading joy everywhere. I can see his little face bursting with joy as I walk into the nursery.

If I ever go back to GLA, something very profound will be missing in it. But when I go back to Michigan, someone who is very special to me who was not there before will now be there.

One day in Haiti, I spent a long time telling Didley all about what to be excited about in the great state of Michigan. I told him all about the seasons, something he will now experience for the first time. I told him about sledding and snow forts, about snow days and snow ball fights and white Christmases. I told him about the Great Lakes, the beautiful beaches meeting with endless water, the cherry trees and the berry bushes, the freshness of spring and the heat of summer. I told him about cider mills and corn mazes, apple trees and fried donuts, green leaves turned blazing gold and rich red. His childhood is about to begin, and I get to watch at least a part of it unfolding in all its glory. An honor such as this I have never been given.

His family is very dedicated to healing his little heart, to giving him a beautiful childhood, to showing him a new and wonderful life outside of the confines of the GLA Main House. I can't wait to watch him grow and thrive and blossom.

Geraldson is home. Another little boy who I loved very much goes home next week. And now Didley is home. There's a lot of victory ringing in the air today. Welcome home, Didley. Thank you for everything you've done for me. I love you so so so so so much.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I have tears in my eyes, so hope I can still read the Captcha to post this! I am so happy for this wonderful family, and the honor you have been given to watch his childhood unfold is matched by the blessing he and his new family have to be so loved by you. I really like that picture too - look how happy Anri looks too! Side note: the family is so colour coordinated. The boys colours match so nicely, and wee Didley's shoes match Mum's shirt too. Perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, you should be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane!mhahahaaa. A photographer donated her services so i wanted out pics to look good! Kathryn, i will cherish this note forever, but not as much as he will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! I don't think I need to elaborate any further than that. Welcome home to the little man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to read and see your heart!

    ReplyDelete