Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Love's Like a Hurricane


For the past two nights, I have slept, or rather tried to sleep, in the midst of howling wind – screeching and wailing in the most sepulchrally dismal manner. The wind blew so hard that the house shook, vibrated, throbbed. This week has dripped constantly with gloom and grey and wetness. On Wednesday as the storm brewed and gathered strength, the electricity continually flickered on and off and the internet connection was shaky at best. Each day has been progressively colder and rainier until it reached a climax in the darkest hours of Wednesday night and throughout all of yesterday. Crashing noises perpetrated by the brute force of the wind smacking buildings, trees, windows, branches, tin roofs and metal bars resounded in the murkiness. The sheer wetness that blanketed the Island of Hispaniola oozed and seeped unstoppably through the cracks of the walls and filled every corner with a bleary and thick storminess.

There is a hurricane, and it is raging through the ocean and the effects of its very nature are reaching far and wide and consuming this part of the world with its fury. At the eerie sound of the wind, sounding like a giant, full of anger, like the sound of a man who has been greatly wounded and unjustly treated demanding retribution. Raging. Livid. Wild. I lay awake staring at the curtains that thrashed in the window, and wanted to be with my children, each of them. I wondered what they were thinking, if they were sleeping, if they were scared, if they were safe, if they were having nightmares induced by the howling wind and the pounding rain. If it weren't for my kids, though, I would have fully enjoyed the glory of the storm.

The next day, we were stuck at the Toddler House. Everything was shut down. No school. No church. No babies the whole day long. It was the longest I had gone without seeing my babies since getting to Haiti. I occupied myself decently well, but I couldn't stop thinking about them and what they were doing, and if they were eating well and napping well and having a good day and if they realized I was gone or if they were oblivious to the fact. I read a lot. I found a plethora of new vocabulary in my book and made multi-colored vocab flash cards and learned seventeen new words. I scrubbed the floor of our room. I organized all my stuff. My roomies and I watched Deja Vu which is an absolutely terrifying and downright befuddling movie and I apologize to all who were present for my somewhat violently vocal reactions. Molly made us delicious cornbread with potato soup for dinner. My roomies and I messed around with the karoke machine. It was exceedingly fun; especially when we sang the Christmas songs. I read some more, and thought about my kids some more, and looked at pictures of my kids, and prayed for my kids, and stood on the balcony and gazed longingly in the direction of the Main House and missed my kids. It really was hard for me to be without them for thirty-six hours. I cannot fathom how hard life will be when they are out of my life indefinitely.

As I stood on the balcony, awed by the sheer force of the wind and the water, the lyrics of How He Loves echoed in my head. He is jealous for me. Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of this wind and mercy... That is one strong love. We didn't even get hit by the hurricane, and yet the sheer power of this storm far surpasses most storms that frequent the Michigan. And it's the Love that I will struggle to trust when I bid these children farewell in just ten more days. 

7 comments:

  1. I was watching Sandy's progression and thinking of you, your babies, and all the people still living in tent cities. I am glad that you came through it okay. You certainly will have some memories and stories to tell for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn posted! First a happy dance and then a bit of a moist-eyed mom. We figured you were stranded at the Toddler House yesterday and were thinking and praying and WAITING. I trust this means that you are back with the babies now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sepulchrally?! Is that one of your 17 words?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath - which Deja Vu film was it?

    Déjà Vu (1985 film), a film starring Jaclyn Smith
    Deja Vu (1988 film), a Soviet-Polish comedy starring Jerzy Stuhr
    Déjà Vu (1997 film), an American film directed by Henry Jaglom
    Dejavu (2003 film), a Spanish short film featuring Ruth Núñez
    Déjà Vu (2006 film), an American thriller starring Denzel Washington.

    Glad to hear you are well. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you start thinking about your return home.

    Love you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. By "well" I mean I am glad that you are physically well even if very far away from home. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Kathryn,
    There is a group of people that have been to GLA or will be going to GLA that have been reading your blog. Thank you for such wonderful updates. I didn't realize you would be leaving in 10 days. I thought you would be there the whole semester. Thank you for answering God's call to go there. May you be blessed as you say goodbye to the kids...your heart will hurt, you will get to hold this experience with you for the rest of your life, and you will never be the same (in a good way). Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Tricia - I love to hear from my readers. I wish I could stay for longer!!! But November 5th was the date GLA told me would be good for departure :( Until then, though, I am hoping to take full advantage of every single moment left with these special little ones.

      Delete