Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Picture Day!


Today was picture day at GLA! Every month, the kids all get a nice picture taken to be sent to parents and sponsors. If the parents have sent their kids outfits, they get their pictures taken with these clothes.  Each baby is taken up from the nursery, changed into cute and clean clothes, the snot and spit up is wiped off of their faces, their chubby little legs get coated in baby lotion, and their picture is taken with an appropriate background (this month's theme was back to school). This is no trivial task, especially as some of the toddlers are very much against their photo being taken in such a manner. I loved every moment of it, though, because I got to know some of the other kids besides my own seven. It was also quite the exhausting operation – carrying dozens of babies up and down stairs, changing them out of their play clothes into their picture clothes, then changing them back into their play clothes and bringing them downstairs again is no simple task. What GLA does here is very valuable, though. For the adoptive parents to receive a photo like this every month is so special. I still remember quite clearly how important it was for us to receive pictures of Ben and Josiah. I only remember getting one of Ben and two of Josiah. But those one or two photos came with us everywhere. The monthly photos come with updates of the kids – stories about how they've grown, what they have been doing, details that parents want to know about their child. When the families come to pick up their children, GLA gives them a disk with all the pictures of their kids. I have a lot of respect for GLA's dedication to this kind of communication with the adoptive parents.

In other news, I was somewhat sick today. Just a little on the queasy side all the day long. Hopefully it will pass by tomorrow...

Pictures from the day!








11 comments:

  1. Each child is so unique and lovable! Thank YOU for your part in helping document their adorableness for their adoptive parents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a well-spent day. Those photos are more precious than gold to those families. As you know.

    It really is kind of amazing how cute they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kath - great post. Glad to see how you're making a great difference. Love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi kath, this is si, that sounds cool. miss you. SI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kath -
    Nicholas and I listened as Abraham read aloud your last 2 posts (todays and the one before that) - we had some catching up to do. What adventures you are having. So impressed with your courage to dive right in and use your French. And then the way you have given yourself fully to these children - it's surely reflects God's character. Thanks for helping us to enter into your world and experience a bit more. We'll be praying for you to feel better soon. Do take care of yourself, too. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this image :) I miss the Paternosters!!!! I think God listened, because I feel completely better today!

      Delete
  6. That certainly does sound like a lot of work, but definitely worth it! I'm sure the adoptive families truly appreciate getting the photos and the updates about their children that they are anxiously waiting to carry safely home. I think it is great that GLA gives them a CD with all of those photos so they have a nice progression of baby photos of their children, even though they were not together at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathryn!

    GLA's Facebook page led me to your blog. I so admire what you're doing! I don't know if I would have had the courage to do this at your age. (I'm 23, by the way. Not that old, but I already graduated from college so I FEEL old.) I volunteered at GLA for three months at the beginning of this year, and I miss it everyday! It goes by in a flash, so don't waste a minute. Love on those babies like there's no tomorrow.

    Best of luck,
    Lindsay Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsay! This comment really meant a lot to me. I need all the encouragement I can get! I will love these babies like there's no tomorrow, and think of you as I cuddle them :)

      Delete